View MBM Marketing's Recent Client Work

To get started, click the gray triangle below, and wait a moment for the Prezi to load (about 10 seconds). Click through the presentation using the gray triangle. If you'd like to view the Prezi in Full Screen mode, wait for the Prezi to load then click "More," then Fullscreen. Just hit the Esc key to exit. Thanks for looking!

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Customer Service & Empowerment


OK, those are words that we all hear too often in the business world. We need to "exceed customer service expectations" and "empower our employees" to make decisions. Just yesterday we were talking about these in the context of storytelling, and by example the Nordstrom tire return story. Maybe it's true, maybe it's not - either way, it's a powerful story that's repeated often as a shining example not just of customer service, but also of employees who are empowered to make decisions regarding how to treat their customers.

Today at the Willow Lawn Chipotle, I experienced the same customer service and employee empowerment. And I swear it's true. I'd faxed in our order, called to confirm receipt and headed over to pick up the order. I was a few minutes late picking it up. The guy at the counter said the order wasn't received, did I call to confirm? "Yes, I did." And off he went to find our order, jump onto the line, make the food himself and deliver it to me in record time. And then the zinger: "no charge," he says. "I've got this covered. Really. Sorry about your wait, come back again soon."

Wow. I was stunned. I offered again to pay, then thanked him, and was so flustered I left without picking up napkins or forks (which are essential for Chipotle). I headed back to the office, still shaking my head over this encounter with customer service, and employee empowerment. I mean, this is basically a fast food restaurant and this guy wasn't even the manager.

If Chipotle can get it right, then there's no excuse for the rest of us not doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment